icon

keyless entry, 2000 dodge ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clockmaker 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

x1le, with what you have given me and the info I find in my service manual this is what I will try next.

The red wire, violet & violet/blk wire(both leave the in-line fuse as violet) will connect to the red wire at ignition harness at column.

The GREEN/ blk wire will connect to the org/violet wire at the dkp(door lock)

The brown wire will connect to the blk/red wire at the steering column(small wire)

The white wire is to connect to the blk / YELLOW wire at the dkp(I did not see the blk / YELLOW wire but did see a yellow/blk wire, there are 2 connectors at the dkp, will look again)

Will cut the pink/violet wire(door unlock) at the dkp, connect the BROWN / blk wire to the switch side of the pink/violet wire and connect the blue/blk wire to the car side of the pink/violet wire.

Does what I describe look correct?

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

x1le wrote:
there is no such thing as a + ground.

http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et207.htm ... I'm guessing this guy has a couple years on us...I remember hearing a buddy do a radio install on one...And then him telling me the story 12+ years ago...II remember thinking...Is this like the left-handed monkey wrench...Or the headlight fluid...! I guess i still have never worked on a british/pre-50's vehicle...I'm sure i will at some point...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
clockmaker wrote:

x1le, with what you have given me and the info I find in my service manual this is what I will try next.

The red wire, violet & violet/blk wire(both leave the in-line fuse as violet) will connect to the red wire at ignition harness at column.

The GREEN/ blk wire will connect to the org/violet wire at the dkp(door lock)

The brown wire will connect to the blk/red wire at the steering column(small wire)

The white wire is to connect to the blk / YELLOW wire at the dkp(I did not see the blk / YELLOW wire but did see a yellow/blk wire, there are 2 connectors at the dkp, will look again)

Will cut the pink/violet wire(door unlock) at the dkp, connect the BROWN / blk wire to the switch side of the pink/violet wire and connect the blue/blk wire to the car side of the pink/violet wire.

Does what I describe look correct?

Looks correct clockmaker. Also, it looks like I forgot a connection in my original post. You must also connect the yellow to your ignition wire @ the ignition harness. Also, I'm not sure if you are or aren't, but you must check all wires with a dmm prior to connecting.
And tommy, looks like you got me lol.
clockmaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
no problem, the others that replyed never mentioned the yellow wire either? will let you know what I find.
clockmaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
tommy....... the only time there is a + ground is when you are positive it is ground!!!
clockmaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
- or + ground? Looks like what I was after was does this system have reverse polarity, looks like it may?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a few things that might help get your install working:
1. Your truck doesn't have a positive ground electrical system. I don't know if this is obvious, and you were just joking there - some much older (think pre-1980 at the latest) vehicles did. Yours doesn't. The black ground wire gets a ring terminal crimped onto it, and screwed to metal on the vehicle.
2. I hope you're not just randomly connecting wires under the dash without testing - that's a good way to seriously damage the keyless entry unit or the truck itself. Especially when you're looking for the BLACK/ red horn wire, which might well be close to airbag wires - don't go anywhere near that until you've verified with a DMM that you're connecting to the correct wire on the truck.
3. All information I'm seeing is that the lock wire on the vehicle is ORANGE / violet and unlock is pink/violet. Chrysler seems to have used a bizarre setup on the Rams with factory keyless entry, but this needn't concern you. Connect both wires as though they were reverse polarity (i.e. cut them, connect BROWN / black & WHITE/ black from the 211 to the respective switch sides, and blue/black & GREEN/ black to the respective motor sides) and the system should work.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
clockmaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
OK now there is a white /black wire to be connected which is the first this has been explained? Question, I have looked in the service manual for the term driver kick panel(dkp) can't find it. Is this the small panel on the floor next to the emergency brake pedal where when removed you find a wiring harness and connector that runs from that point and thru to the door, this is where I have found the pink/violet and ORANGE / violet wires.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
The WHITE/ black wire from the Viper 211 gets connected to the switch side of the cut ORANGE / violet lock wire - the GREEN/ black from the Viper gets connected to the motor side.
Basically, you're going to assume that the ORANGE / violet lock wire on the truck is reversed polarity switching.
I realize some of the earlier posters in this thread said that the lock wire was positive trigger, and only the pink/violet unlock wire was reverse polarity. However, if you connect it as though it's reverse polarity, it will still work. If you connect it as though it's positive trigger and it's reverse polarity, you'll create a short circuit and keep blowing fuses.
"Driver's kick panel" technically is the trim piece to the left of the pedals and forward of the door opening - however in practice when the term is used to describe wire locations, a lot of times the wires can be found under the door sill trim or the lower left side of the dash.
In any case, if you've located the wires coming from the door you're in good shape.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
clockmaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

When I cut the ORANGE / violet wire to connect the WHITE/ black & the GREEN/ blk wire, after cutting the wire which of the two halves would be considered the switch side and the moter side?

Concerning the pink/violet wire, after cutting, I was thinking the cut wire near the connector would be considered the switch side to connect the blue/blk wire and the other side would be considered the car side to connect the BROWN / black wire?

I do appreciate the help.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic